Old 30-04-2006, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default flowering bamboo

"K" wrote in message

Someone in urg mentioned their bamboo was flowering, and today my
neighbour pointed out that both his and mine was in flower.

So - what triggers bamboo to flower? Age? A hot summer? Being potbound?
--
Kay

Which particular bamboo? Is it definitely flowering or are they just showing
extra big leafy bits.
I can't remember which one the chap said was flowering but there appeared to
be some confusion. None of mine are showing signs of flowering yet.
A fargesia murielae (not certain which one) flowered here about 8 years ago
and died slowly. I never really noticed until I saw new seedlings emerging.
AFAIK no one else around reported that they were flowering that year.
Oh yes to answer your original question:-
"The mechanism for the timing of flowering and dying is a phenomenon not yet
understood. It is one of nature's baffling mysteries. "
http://www.bamboogarden.com/when%20bamboo%20flowers.htm