Old 30-04-2006, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default list of poisonous plants

In article ews.net,
"Sue" writes:

| Never eat any part of a potato except the tubers, never eat
| green tubers, and don't eat potato raw if even slightly green. snip
|
| I've known my Dad to eat pieces of raw potato. Goodness knows why he
| likes it but he would often steal chunks while my Mother was preparing
| veg for a meal. Though after drinking huge quantities of tea all his
| life I expect his stomach lining is as tanned as old leather and maybe
| that protects him.

Yup. Me too :-)

More seriously, raw potato is indigestible rather than poisonous, but
raw GREEN potato is poisonous. However, the toxin is most harmful to
pregnant women (as is common), so middle-aged men need not worry about
a small quantity.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.