Old 01-05-2006, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve

Default Cauliflower wilt?

STEPHEN PEEK wrote:
Thank farmerdill, your post got me worried about fungal disease. So I pulled
the wilted plants. There was no sign of black rot or club root. The under
ground portion of the stems appeared to be peeled or eaten away to the woody
core. Cut worms, maybe?
Steve

If I saw sudden wilt like that in my garden, I wouldn't have any doubt
what it was. In my garden, it would be root maggots. You obviously live
in a totally warmer climate than here since we wouldn't even dare to
plant out cauliflower plants yet. Maybe you don't have root maggots
where you are.
If you pull another affected plant, look closely at the roots. Look for
tunnels. Look for the maggots too but they may be gone by now (hiding in
the soil ready to hatch out into the next generation).

Steve