Old 30-04-2006, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC

Default support for peas

Bob Hobden wrote:
"NC" wrote

(Sorry for another beginner's question!)
If I place a cane next to each pea plant (they are about 6" tall now), do
I need to fix the plant to the cane as it grows, or can I just wind the
plant round ?

As Kay says they self cling. We use wire netting on stout posts along the
rows for ours to climb up, putting a cane by each plant would take rather
too many canes when there are 4 rows. Alternatively you can use pea sticks
for low growing varieties cut from a suitable source or even buy Pea Netting
from a GC for the taller growing type.

I only have 2 rows, of about 10 plants per row. I have some lengths of
timber that I can fix netting to - a bit of timber at the end of each of
the rows, with the netting between should be fine (I hope!)