Old 01-05-2006, 03:42 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kyle Boatright

Default Crab grass!

Let's try this one.
http://i2.tinypic.com/wttvdf.jpg

Nope, that's not crabgrass, it looks kind of like a fresh cut annual
grass but it's hard to tell from that pic.

I think it is annual bluegrass "poa annual". Does it have numerous little
silver/white seeds at the top of the grass leaves, assuming you let it grow?

The only way to get rid of it this spring is to either pull it up by hand or
to wait until warmer, drier weather kills it. I have a bunch of it in my
yard. Didn't think I'd have that problem with 1 year old zoysia sod.

Anyway, the way to keep it from coming back next year (it is a fall/winter
germinating seed) is to apply a pre-emergent that is effective on grassy
weeds early this fall.