Old 01-05-2006, 02:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default Water Melons And Cantaloupes

"Lisa Hurley" wrote in message
I have the same sort of question -- I have plenty of water and space -- but
am short on growing season, living in northern Montana -- zone 3. I
started
watermelon and cantaloupe under the grow lights -- so they are off and
growing early. I read somewhere that if I plant them in black plastic,
the
ground will stay warmer and I might actually get fruit -- anybody had any
experience with this method?

Lisa

Clear plastic works better. And, you'll be successful (at least with
cantaloupes) if you choose a short season variety. Finally, there's no room
for interference in short season areas. My melon plants were seriously
damaged by deer last summer - they ate almost half the leaves, so I ended up
with just 3 melons from 2 plants. The rest matured too slowly, probably due
to lack of leaf area, and by the time they were about half size, frost
killed the plants.

It also helps a lot to work some composted manure into the soil. Melons are
very heavy feeders. A handful of 10-10-10 granular fertilizer can't hurt,
about a week after setting the plants out in the garden.

I'm trying watermelon for the first time this year, so I can't offer any
advice based on actual experience. The rules are the same, though.