Old 01-05-2006, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default pure soap

"Dafydd Ap Arwyn" wrote in message

Ysgrifennodd "ron" mewn neges
r.co.uk...
Hi I have been reading about making insectisides using pure soap. What

is
pure soap sold as, i.e. trade name? Or will Dove soap do?

Thanks Ron

Pure soap flakes are available from Tesco's under the name Granny's
Original.

I can't get them anywhere else. I use em to wash my waterproofs in, works

treat and is a lot cheaper than the expensive stuff you buy in outdoor

shops
(which is almost identical, only liquid in form and many times more
expensive.)

T Dave R

Most washing up liquid - including supermarket budget brands - is
around 95% soap. There is nothing magical about soap which is merely a
compound of glycerine, and fatty acids derived from sources such
as tallow, grease, fish oils, and vegetable oils.

All unscented washing up liquids are equally effective when used
as shampoo*, bubble bath, insecticide, bicycle cleaner, engine
degreaser, and hand cleaner, as are branded products often costing
ten times as much, if not more.

* In the late 60's/early 70's, civilisation as we know it was almost
rocked to its foundations by Jilly Cooper's admission in the
Sunday Times that she only ever washed her hair in Teepol -
ICI liquid soap. Cue - "and it shows".

michael adams