Old 01-05-2006, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default pure soap

In article ,
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" writes:

| Must admit that's a bit better than Mike's comments-but only just.
| Some of the cheaper washing up and Laundry liquids have an increasing amount
| of sodium fatty acids in them. It's one way of getting rid of the fat no one
| wants to eat anymore.

Oh, come off it! That is precisely what soaps ARE, and most common
detergents are fairly similar. And the reason has nothing to do with
surplus fat that people don't want to eat.

| What's this thing about nitrogen and sulphur being a well know warning flag?

Check it out - it is. The point is that sulphur-containing proteins are
often/usually very bioactive, and a hydrocarbon that contains nitrogen
is very like a protein.

| Come to think of it where is the Nitrogen in Sodium lauryl sulphate? It does
| not contain any does it? Perhaps dissolved Nitrogen in the tap water:-)

Wikipedia said that it did, and I said that I was using that as a
reference. You may know better.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.