Old 01-05-2006, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default nasturshalems

tom&barbara wrote:
Sue wrote:

I like nasturtiums.

I love them too Sue, but unfortunately so do the blasted black fly.
Mine looked beautiful growing up the trellis by the back door last
summer until they became invaded by black fly and as if that wasn't bad
enough then the caterpillars started to eat them!

I think the caterpillars are usually cabbage whites and they are
actually quite prety (even the ceterpillars themselves). When I last
grew them and got caterpillars, me and the kids had some fun collecting
the chrysalissesses and "hatching" them out. The black fly can be
overwhelming at first but may calm down if enough hoverflies and things
can get at them. They are tough ole plants and usually manage to look
after themselves after a while.

Morning glories are a different story though; the blue ones are
fabulous but we do not get enough sun here to do them easily. Good
luck with them.

Des in Dublin

As a result I am growing morning glory instead as I seem to have more
success with that! :-)

Gail