Old 01-05-2006, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default pure soap

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" writes:

| Must admit that's a bit better than Mike's comments-but only just.
| Some of the cheaper washing up and Laundry liquids have an increasing
amount
| of sodium fatty acids in them. It's one way of getting rid of the fat
no one
| wants to eat anymore.

Oh, come off it! That is precisely what soaps ARE, and most common
detergents are fairly similar. And the reason has nothing to do with
surplus fat that people don't want to eat.

Soaps are the sodium salts of fatty acids. Detergents are based on SLS or
similar . There are no chemical similarities between the two. Old fashioned
soap forms scum with hard water--SLS does not.
Nearly all the old fashioned soaps were replaced by SLS type things because
it was cheaper and did a better job.
Some of the cheapo washing up liquids do *now* contain increasing amounts of
the fatty acid based soaps and that is because they can't get rid of the
stuff any other way.

| What's this thing about nitrogen and sulphur being a well know warning
flag?

Check it out - it is. The point is that sulphur-containing proteins are
often/usually very bioactive, and a hydrocarbon that contains nitrogen
is very like a protein.

A bit too simplistic but if Wikipedia says that then perhaps it could be
wrong.

| Come to think of it where is the Nitrogen in Sodium lauryl sulphate? It
does
| not contain any does it? Perhaps dissolved Nitrogen in the tap water:-)

Wikipedia said that it did, and I said that I was using that as a
reference. You may know better.

I always find Wikipedia excellent on its Chemistry so I doubt that it would
say that SLS contains Nitrogen.
Could you have misread it or mistaken a little n for a big N
Beam me onto your source please.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.