Old 01-05-2006, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan_Musicant

Default Roundup mixed last year. Still OK?

On Mon, 01 May 2006 11:36:59 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

an_Musicant wrote:
: The weather is finally good enough for me to spray weeds at the side of
: the house and I have a spray container made with Roundup concentrate
: probably almost a year ago. Will this still kill the weeds? I know they
: say that it decomposes into some non-toxic form within two weeks of
: spraying, so I figure it isn't terribly stable. Does anyone know if it
: will still work? I used it, but don't want to have to wait a week or two
: to find out if it's a waste of time waiting. Thanks for any info.
:
: Dan
:
:
:Yes, it is still good (or still bad, depending on your political bent.)
:
:Round-up is deactivated in the soil almost immediately when it does an
:ion-exchange with clay particles. It also decomposes in the soil. It
:doesn't decompose in the bottle or sprayer. HTH :-)
:
:Bob

Thanks Bob. Yes that helps plenty. Since we have heavily clay soil here
I suppose the Round-up will decompose quickly. Since you mention
politics, I wonder about the political aspect. I suppose I can do a
Google Groups search on roundup and come up with some threads where I
can see that discussed. Or maybe you or others can link me to
significant information. If there's a significant downside to using this
stuff I'd like to know about it. Thanks again.

Dan