Old 01-05-2006, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph

Default Woodchuck defenses

I'm planning on putting in tomatoes this year, however I have a woodchuck
living in my yard and rumor has it that woodchucks love tomatoes. Turing
(my woodchuck) is a cute little guy so I'm not going to trap or kill him.
Trapping would be hopeless anyway, I gave up gardening 20 years ago
because after trapping and moving 10 raccoons a year for 4 years I failed
to make a dent in their population (I moved them seven miles away to the
other side of the Merrimac river so I don't think it was the same ones
coming back).

I'm thinking that a fence around the garden is the only means of keeping
the woodchucks and raccoons out. My question is how tall does it have to
be and how deep to I have to bury it in the ground?