Old 01-05-2006, 06:11 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Water Lily - no Pond

Derek Broughton wrote:
wrote:

So I impulsively bought a water lily at Lowe's. It was encased in a
plastic container, surrounded in a granola looking clay material. I
took it home and found a deep pot that will hold water, at least 16
inches tall. I took it out of it's outer plastic container, stuck in
in the water, then filled the pot with pebbles, becuase it seemed like
the thing to do.

So, can I expect this to do anything? Will it just grow like that?

Maybe. Water lilies come in a huge variety of sizes. I've had dwarf lilies
that would do well in a container a foot across. I've had monsters that
covered more than 100 sq.ft. (actually, there are some with _leaves_ almost
that size!) So if it's not a dwarf it isn't going to be happy.

Also, make sure you don't have any soil on the growing tip - if you do,
you'll get slow growth and little chance of a bloom.

Finally, you need to have 5 or 6 hours of full sun for most lilies. You
haven't mentioned whether it's indoors or out - it would be very hard to
get a bloom from most varieties if kept indoors.

It's on a deck outside, which may not get that much full sunlight. But
we'll see.

--
derek