Old 01-05-2006, 04:28 PM posted to austin.gardening
ceed

Default Growing grapes in Austin.

On Mon, 01 May 2006 10:04:11 -0500, Gene wrote:

Be SURE to have the correct PH.

We have never done well with grapes, even though
the native ones do great near the creeks. Figs
do well though. Wish I had a source for good ,
cheap fig plants. I'm too lazy to go dig the fig roots up -
I need them started in a bucket:-)

I have about two feet of garden soil on top of caliche. This soil has been
good for tomatoes, melons and peppers in the past, but now I have put the
grapes there. I do not know about the PH. What is correct in this context?

On the figs: I recently purchased a few 1 gallon Celeste fig plants
relatively cheap ($4-5) at Wal-Mart here in Round Rock. Seems like
Wal-Mart has been getting a lot of these in lately. My mother-in-law says
Celeste is the kind she “grew up with”, so I am hoping they will do well.

Gene

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
ink.net...
ceed wrote:
Hi,

I got hold of some small grape plants of the Fire, Ruby and Thompson
varieties. I have planted them along the arbor/fence around our pool,
so
they will have good support and a lot to climb on. I have never done
grapes before though, so what will it take to succeed with them here in
Austin?

I'd recommend drip irrigation for starters. And, hopefully you have
decent soil depth at the location where you planted these grapes. Grapes
develop deep roots and don't like rock layers or hardpans.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

--