Old 01-05-2006, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

Default Bare-legged hebe

"michael adams" wrote in message

"Small Red Robin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Jenny. Going by what Alan T says, does that mean that the brown
bits at the bottom of the hebe is actually frost damaged growth? I'm
still a little nervous about how much I should cut down given so much
of it is damaged (but it is just past April now so I guess now is the
time to do it). How much would you suggest I take off, looking at that
picture? Will this type recover from a chop back to 15cm above ground
level?

Judging by the size of the plant, you have plenty of material
to work on, without totally spoiling the appearence if things
don't all work out as planned. One idea might be to just cut back
say 12 branches this year, from all around the plant. Four at the
base leaving around two inches, four by one third, and four by
two thirds. Maybe labelling the branches at the base as you go.
Then by this time next year, you should have a much better idea
of which is the most effective for your particular variey and
the best way to proceed.
michael adams

Make cuttings with the prunings. that way you might end up with 30 plants
:~)
Jenny