Old 01-05-2006, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default Looking For Climate-Appropriate Plants

"Southpaw" wrote in message
oups.com...
Not long, maybe 15 minutes.

OK. I have 1/4 acre. Mine takes 90 minutes with a walking mower at medium
speed (it's bumpy land). If your main reason for turning lawn into garden is
to save mowing time, I'd say stick with the grass. A garden will require
more than 15 minutes a week to keep it nice looking.

On the other hand, lawns are really boring, and don't belong in most
climates to begin with. We inherited the stupid lawn tradition from the
British, whose climate is more suitable for grass. So, should we continue
talking about converting grass to flowers? :-)