Old 02-05-2006, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

Default Blueberry Query

"LK" wrote in message
Hello, I'm new here. I'm in SE toward central PA, USA in a 6a/b zone.
I have blueberries awaiting planting.

I'm thinking of putting 3 bushes in a slightly acid 6.3Ph and adding
cottonseed meal and mulch with wood chips, in dappled shade until 10AM
then sun until 6PM and low, as in cool air flowing from a hillock down
to them but still good drainage. However, there will be no relief from
75-88 deg weather and afternoon sun we usually get in late July and
early August.

And putting 3 more bushes higher in the hillock about 45 apart, 6 Ph
soil that I will supplement with cottonseed that gets sun from 9AM to
1PM and 3PM to 6PM.

Is this a good idea or should I put them all together in either
location?

Thanks for your input.

Blueberries like acidic, well-drained, sandy soil and a high water table
where they can keep their roots wet, but not soggy.

Blueberries are big business in SNJ, so the summer temperatures in SE PA
won/t be a problem.

Blueberry is not a heavy feeder, so go easy on the cottonmeal or you won/t
get may berries.

--
TQ