Old 02-05-2006, 01:35 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Jo

Default Bunnies

We purchased one at Homedepot. We figure we might need to catch things
now and again.

No luck yet, again, our boxers think that the cage needs more protecting
than the garden. Oy I love my big ole boy.

laurie (Mother Mastiff) wrote:
I am hopeful. Have you found a cage to borrow? I need to buy a Havahart
trap that will catch a large raccoon or opossum, but am not sure a small
bunny would trip the door if the trap was too big, does anyone know? If you
can use a too-big trap for small stuff, then I could advertise for a used
large Havahart and loan it to Jo.

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

"Jo" wrote in message

laurie (Mother Mastiff) wrote:

Jo,

With rabbit food so cheap, I will take several (not just two) provided
they are all the same sex, whichever sex is the more prevalent. Um, are
these HUGE bunnies or medium or small?

Are these rabbits wearing camouflage coat colors, or pretty decorative
ones that would attract hawks? If there are several kinds of paint jobs
among the rabbits, the ones with neutral coloring have the best chance of
survival left loose, the ones with white or patterns will attract the eye
of predators.

My pens are securely wired on the top as well as sides, last week the
wire roof foiled an adolescent Bald Eagle who wanted to lunch on a live
chicken nugget from my pens and SCREAMED in rage when he could not get
in.... I had never been so close to one before, a magnificent sight.

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

excited at the prospect of bunnies in the pen again! (Just don't want to
be a bunny BREEDER, even inadvertently!) OBTW, a friend raises angora
rabbits for fiber animals, and would be excellent for explaining how to
sex bunnies, to save a trip to the vet. Unless you want to have them
checked for general health and parasites etc.

I haven't caught any yet, but these are small. My boxers have been
guarding the trap. Didn't do a darn thing about the garden, but they guard
the trap.

My vet will sex them for free. I just have to stop by and they will take a
peek for me.

There seems to be several different kinds of bunnies, or perhaps they just
look different to me. I know nothing about rabbits except they are cute
adorable and like my organic garden...

Jo