Old 01-05-2006, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC

Default 1st Tumbler Tomato

Springtime wrote:
"NC" wrote in message ...

I'm sure your will be successful.
SH

I hope so !
One moe (maybe daft!) question - what does the first truss look like ?
There are a few good sized leaves now, with more leaves growing off the
branches - is this a truss ?

A truss is the small group of flowers that eventually (once pollinated)
becomes the tomatoes.
You should be able to see a tiny one after the first few real leaves have
unfolded. See Picture
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...yGB%26 sa%3DN

SH

OK - thanks for the link - a picture speaks a thousand words !
Been thinking about this some more whilst watching the snooker
(gardening, snooker !! Wife laughs at me - I'm only 27!). should I pot
on to bigger than 3" before putting them outside - maybe to 5" peat pots
so that I dont disturb the roots ? When planting to baskets, do you
position at the back, front or middle of basket (sounds a daft question,
but I'm thinking that this will make quite a difference to the way the
toms are able to 'hang') ?

Sorry for death by questions - this is my first year with a garden, I
cant find decent instructions on the net, and I dont want to kill
everything with daft mistakes!