Old 01-05-2006, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default Shortening a Bannana Plant

"Bookworm" wrote in message
ups.com...
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"michael adams" wrote in message

michael adams

Various sites are now proclaiming that sikkimensis is as hardy if not
hardier than Bajoo. I turn these to mush each year with absolutely no
regrowth. Too wet I believe. Very nice as an annual.
Bajoo lived in the garage without protection but lost the leaves and
started
growing again a few weeks ago.
If you happen to have a spare Musa Ae Ae or two I will swop for a small
Bajoo:-)

Could the 'turning to mush' be because you are in W Yorks and I am in
South Worcs?

Perhaps, but it's more likely that my attempts at protection have been very
half hearted. In summer their location gets a bit dry due to shading by very
big deciduous trees, so lots of mushy compost in the planting hole. Of
course the same area gets sodden in winter and the once soggy compost
becomes a liquid slurry and rot sets in.
I will try harder in future.