Old 02-05-2006, 06:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Carlock

Default Cauliflower wilt?

"Steve" wrote:
Out of 3 30' rows of cole crops 2 cauliflower plant have suddenly
wilted very badly. I can't see any insect damage & it has rained
over an inch in the last week. Any ideas?

A lack of calcium? I've read that cauliflower requires a heavy
amount of lime (which I interpret to be calcium). I've had a
hard time getting cauliflower to grow myself. I keep thinking
the heads are supposed to get bigger and by the time I unroped
the leaves, the first head wilted. The same plant has two stems
and I ended up with one small head of cauliflower from the second
stem. Only seem to get one cauliflower a year, much like a pine-
apple plant gives one pineapple a year.

Just curious, do you lime your soil in any way to give the plant
calcium?

Jim Carlock
Florida West Coast
--