Old 02-05-2006, 11:07 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanJHawkins
newgardeners wrote:
Best pictures I could get I'm afraid:

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...m/bamboo1.jpg]

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...m/bamboo2.jpg]

One appears to be a deeper green in colour.

I am guessing they are both Pseudosasa japonica... They are probably
the "mother" (i.e. normal) variety... Definitely not the 'Akebono'
subspecies which is similar but has varigated leaves.

These are a running type that will go under your fence at some point.
Luckly, they are relatively slow to spread and easier than many to
contain. HOWEVER, they will invade nearby areas eventually. And with
nothing to prevent them, it can be as little as a few years.

Do a Google search for Pseudosasa japonica for more info, and/or look
he
http://www.bamboogarden.com/Pseudosasa%20japonica.html

Cheers!
I planted a Pseudosasa japonica "Akebonosuji" last year, just a 3 litre size, then dug it up 6 months later because I didn't like where I had put it. It had already sent out a rhizome 2 feet from where I originally planted it.

I have put rhizome barrier next to all my bamboos that are by the boundary, even the true clumpers, because there is nothing worse than getting into an argument with your neighbour. Also the rhizome barrier means that I am feeding and watering my bamboo, not their leylandii, which they kindly keep in check.

There is a mature clump of P. japonica behind a 6 foot fence at a house I cycle past most days. It is taller than the fence, but not much. It probably extends 4-6 feet away from the fence. Many culms are now coming up through the tarmac footpath on the road side of the fence.