Old 02-05-2006, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens,misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions
Irene

Default Why Don't Kids Do Chores Anymore?

Sue wrote:
"toypup" wrote in message
I don't tend to want highschoolers. I'm sure some are very mature, but I
prefer older babysitters, as I know many other moms do.

My preferable age for a sitter was 13-16. Any older than that and they are
interested in boys, being on the phone, and/or having more of a social life
than sitting. I have had great experiences with sitters of this age group,
as they love to sit and play with the kids and will do stuff with them,
rather than sitting them in front of the TV. Then if you go any older, then
it costs an arm and a leg to have a sitter come in.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

I think it's a combination of age, interests, and temperament. You are
probably most likely to get that mix in the 13-16 age, however! I
remember when I was growing up. We had a favorite babysitter would
always play with us. When she got too old (I forget how old - probably
when she went away to college), her younger sister starting babysitting
for us. She was probably the same age - but wasn't as interested in
playing with us, and preferred to watch tv and/or do her homework.

My problem finding a babysitter is that the girls I wanted to babysit
were also active on the basketball team, and didn't sit during the
season. I'm really looking forward to when the two girls down the
block turn 12 - they are planning to team-sit together. One of them is
better with kids than the other (she has already shown aptitude - one
day last summer she had 4 3-4 year olds practicing Stop Drop and Roll
by rolling down the hill next to her house, for instance) while the
other I think mainly wants to hang out with her friend.

Irene