Old 02-05-2006, 06:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Re-Seeding Lawn

wrote:
I dont have a well but have sprinklers so I have to pay..

In that case, unless your water rates are very low, I'd definitely wait
till Fall. In the summer, it will take a hell of a lot of water to
establish new grass.

Those areas
where grass is patchy can I throw topsoil to cover that entire area?
will that kill all grass, weeds, etc to allow me to re-seed that area?

You don't need topsoil unless there is something wrong with what's
there. Topsoil will kill whatever is there, IF you use a thick enough
layer, but that's a lot of work and money, depending on the size. If
you want to kill all the existing grass and weeds, use Roundup a couple
weeks prior to seeding. Use additional topsoil just on areas that need
it.

Im re-doing my driveway (making it wider, new walkway) so I cant start
this process until June.. So it just make sense to start prepping the
lawn for now and seed in Sept?

If you can't start till June, I would definitely wait till early Sept.