Old 02-05-2006, 04:44 PM posted to fj.life.in-japan,uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default What kind of tree is this?

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
K mentioned the word Magnolia as well.

No, she suggested a peach.

Yes you are right it was Janet B that mentioned the word "Magnolia"

I have not seen "Susan" but I think
it is not as pink (almost gaudy pink) as the one in the quiz.

Yes. I've looked at the 'Susan'. I had remembered it deeper pink.

The solitary leaf looks about right for Magnolia
I guess Magnolia is the best bet so far.

Indeed. Also it looks so much like a witch hazel but totally wrong
colour )

I can't see much in it like a witch hazel-other than it's flowering on bear
stems a bit like a Daphne.
I am surprised that someone has not recognised it yet by the distinctive
bark.
If we bandy enough words around perhaps we will win the quiz:-)