Old 02-05-2006, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default pure soap

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "michael adams" contains these words:

Yebbut, that can't account for black cats and labradors with
glossy coats, who are only ever fed on a traditional diet,
can it?

Can you account for black poodles NOT being shiny? :-)

A poodle's hair is more akin to wool and is more waterproof.
This made them especially suited to splashing through
mud and puddles when driving cattle - the purpose for which
they were originally bred. Standard poodles make quite
impressive dogs

The same could be said of this chap, nothing shiny about his
hair either.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/komondor.htm

Apprently they're at their most dangerous the moment you start
laughing.

What's more with cats and dogs being lower down, their coats are
more subject to pollution from the likes of cars exhausts,
than is human hair. Which is at least 5 feet higher off
the ground

And yet strangely enough nobody ever suggests washing the
cat with Garnier Balsom or Fructis "because he's worth it"
do they ? No.

You must have been sheltered from the precious world of cat shows :-)

I used to go to the Olympia Cat Show many many years ago, as I knew
someone who got cheap tickets. It's quite entertaining being able to
walk up and own the rows and look at the cats all sitting in their
cages waiting for the judges to come round. Its all so po-faced
and deadly serious for the humans, while the cats are all so
laid back. People and their pets are often very funny to watch,
same as people walking their dogs in the park.

Did you know that show-cats which happen to be black, are never allowed
in sunlight (because it makes their fur go a slightly rusty colour).

The genetics of cat color are very complicated. As well as the colour
gene there's a colour intensity gene, another one I forget, and an agouti
gene which determines the colour banding on indibvidual hairs. For self
colours the agouti gene needs to be totally suppressed. In addtion some
blue blacks and deep browns are very difficult to distinguish
from true blacks, if such exist.

Their coat condition owes as much to applied lotions and potions as any
film star.

And totally unecessary, that's the point. White cats for one, keep
themselves inmmacuate without any human intervention, and there's no
reason to suppose other colours don't do likewise.

Last time I was at the vets, they had cat toothbrushes and
toothpaste for sale.

Many pet cats will develop tartar on their teeth. Both as a result
of being fed a sloppy diet and simply as a result of living
longer. Dried food can be a help with tartar, except it can
can cause kidney and other problems in susceptible cats. The
other remedy might be more raw meat. Too much tartar can cause
execessive drooling and other problems as the cat gets older.

michael adams

Janet.