Old 02-05-2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

Default Transplanting junipers problem / question

On Tue, 02 May 2006 15:33:22 GMT, Kurt Gavin wrote:
I've got to transplant a few junipers. They were one gallon plants that I
put in last year. Any suggestions for maximizing the chance for having these
things survive the process will be appreciated. I'm in a semi-arid area.

Dig the new holes first. If you have clay soil, be especially wary of shovel-
polishing the holes. Soak well after digging. Dig the plants up one at a time,
attempting to get the whole rootball. Do not lift by the stem or branches...
get a sling under if you can't do a direct lift of the rootball with your
hands. Transplant to a new hole, backfill, and treat as a new transplant
this year (watering, etc.). It can be helpful to orient the plants in the
same orientation they were previously (northside to northside, etc.)

Kay