Old 03-05-2006, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens,misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions
dragonlady

Default Why Don't Kids Do Chores Anymore?

In article ,
"Sue" wrote:

"Cathy Kearns" wrote in message
My oldest daughter turns down babysitting jobs constantly, and only
occasionally babysits for one family down the street. She started sitting
for the when she was 14, and is now 16. They are now 7 and 12. Her

friends
who like babysitting are overwhelmed with offers. However, these aren't
diaper aged kids, they are 4 and up.

Too bad you couldn't give some sitting jobs DD1's way. She is getting
frustrated. She did have one family that had her sit, but they moved away.
There are some new families moving in the sub behind our house, so maybe
there is hope. It certainly isn't like it used to be. I was very much in
demand in my babysitting days.

When my kids were in high school and babysitting, they got most of their
jobs through church -- after they volunteered to help in the nursery or
preschool classes. The kids liked them, and the parents got to know
them a bit, so THEN they'd ask if they did any babysitting. (The youth
group also sposored a babysitting class, which they took together over
several Saturdays, so that helped, too.) It worked out pretty well --
for a time, there were people who would call here to ask which of the
three was available; they might have a preference, but would accept any
of them.