Old 03-05-2006, 04:45 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gail Futoran

Default What is the best type of pond snail?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, NG.

From my expirence with freshwater aquariums, I found the snails I tried

all reproduced quickly and were hard to control. Anyone have a
recommendation for good pond snail? Or should I instead go with a few
algae eaters from a tropical fish store? I live in north Florida and
have a new, 5-day old, 400-500 gallon pond.

Japanese Trapdoor snails are live bearers, don't
breed very much so won't overrun your pond.
They also won't bother your plants. On the
downside, they don't eat all that much algae.
But they're nice snails to have in the pond.

Second question: I plan on adding snails or algae eaters next week --
about 10-14 days after setup. Is this good or bad timing?

Patrick

I can't see that it would be a problem unless
there's not enough food for them. I suppose you
could always toss in some algae tablets or
flakes for awhile until algae appears.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8