Old 03-05-2006, 02:13 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Default What is the best type of pond snail?

loopy livernose wrote:

wrote in message
there is no such thing as a good snail snip

can you quantify that statement please? I was of the belief snails were
beneficial to a pond, and are definitely part of a natural ponds
ecosystem.

Ingrid has a reasonably justifiable fear of snail-born pathogens. However,
you're entirely right - they're a natural part a the ecosystem and they do
have a beneficial place in the pond. You'll never eliminate them without
killing off every other invertebrate in the pond anyway, so you have to
live with them. I wouldn't actually go out and buy any, though.
--
derek