Old 03-05-2006, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default automatic irrigation for greenhouse?

NathalieM wrote:
Wrote:
Anyone know how to rig up a simple irrigation system for a 8'x12'
Des in Dublin

Hi Des
You could put a line of capillary matting on your staging with both
ends hanging in a trough of water (make sure the whole of the matting
is soaked). The matting stays wet, the pots stay on the matting and
draw up the moisture from the matting. Always good to have a friendly
neighbour to check that there's enough water and nothing's getting
fried in the sun. I've also got the Gravity bag/drip system for my
grow bags - it's a fantastic bargain and provides a stress-free
holiday!
Good luck!
Nathalie

thanks Nathalie; I have used capillary matting before for small pots
but this time I need to water 20 tomato plants in the ground. I have
ordered 9 quids worth of pipes and tubes over e-bay which is supposed
to be for irrigation and I will see if I can rig up a tank and timer.

Des in DIY mood in Dublin

--
NathalieM