Old 03-05-2006, 03:49 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default What is the best type of pond snail?

*Note: There are TWO "Koi-Lo's" on this NG*

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, NG.

From my expirence with freshwater aquariums, I found the snails I tried

all reproduced quickly and were hard to control. Anyone have a
recommendation for good pond snail? Or should I instead go with a few
algae eaters from a tropical fish store? I live in north Florida and
have a new, 5-day old, 400-500 gallon pond.

Second question: I plan on adding snails or algae eaters next week --

Some snails are more prolific than I think you realize. Some carry disease.
Koi and goldfish don't eat them. You then have to worry how you're going to
get their population under control.

about 10-14 days after setup. Is this good or bad timing?

Algae eaters are known to rasp the slime coat of fish, removing the
protective layer and exposing them to ulcer-disease and other infections. I
would by-pass snails and algae eaters.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.