Old 03-05-2006, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
michael adams

Default Hosepipe ban, power washer, water butt, pump - X-post

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
michael adams wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote...
Water companies do not make the law.

Nope.

So long as they don't exceed the powers granted to them by the
privatisiation
legislation, they're as allowed to be as selective as they wish, in

which
particular
provisions they choose to enact.

As far as I know the only things that are banned are washing the
car with a hosepipe, and watering the garden. If you've a pointer
to a legal resource that says different, I'd like to read it, for
interest.

Right now under the 1999 legistlation Water Companies can apply to
introduce compulsory water metering to restrict demand. And at least
one - Dover if not more, has already done so. If things got really bad
Water Companies are empowered to cut off domestic supplies altogether
and install stand pipes. If there was any evidence that the use of
hosepipes for supposedly innocent use was being abused, there's no doubt
whatsover that the use of all hosepipes would be banned forthwith.
And that such an eventuality was anticipated in the legislation,
by a catch-all clause if nowhere else.

michael adams

I charge £45 per hour for documentation searches, with a minimum
charge of £50.