Old 03-05-2006, 04:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Adrian C

Default Hosepipe ban, power washer, water butt, pump - X-post

wrote:
According to Karcher
http://www.karcheruk.co.uk/news.php and Hozelock
http://www.hozelock.com/HoseRestrictions-faq.htm using a pressure
washer is OK, except for washing a car.

googling "hosepipe ban pressure washer" does, however, throw up other
links implying that pressure washers are not allowed.

MBQ

Following from www.3valleys.co.uk (W London water suppliers)
quote
Q. Why are you banning washing of cars and watering of gardens when
people can still fill up pools and wash driveways?

A. When the water resources of a water company are at threat due to
long term drought they can take a number of actions to encourage
customers to reduce their water consumption. The first stage is a
hosepipe ban under the Water Industry Act 1991 (Section 76), which
prohibits the use of a hosepipe for watering of a private garden and
washing of a private car. This legislation was originally drafted in
1945 and does not cover many activities which are now part of modern
lifestyles eg. Jetwashes to wash patios/driveways, filling of swimming
pools, leisure pools and contribute to the fact that our customers now
use twice as much water as their grandparents did.

We agree about the anomaly and have already raised this issue with
government and our regulators with a view to encourage revision of the
existing legislation.
/quote

--
Adrian C