Old 03-05-2006, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Default rainwater butts again

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"chris French" wrote in message
In message , KK
writes
Hello, - there have been several posts about water butts recently.

How big does it need to be

Depends on how much you want to consume. In general I'd say the
bigger/more of them the better.

& what if it overflows ?

Are they easy to plumb in to the downpipe ?

If you use the special diverters you can get for downpipes, then once it
is full it doesn't fill up anymore and the water just goes straight down
the downpipe.
--
Chris French

Chris how does that work? Does it have some kind of float valve. I have only
ever used the original models which had a separate overflow back into the
downpipe.

No, there are no moving parts, as long as you position it correctly when
the butt is full the outlet hole is full of water so the water rises in
the diverter and so flows back into the down pipe. The water companies
sell, at discounted rate, butts complete with diverters, stands and some
even a watering can. Simply look at your water companies web site.

--
Please do not reply to this Email address,
as all Emails are deleted before opened.