Old 03-05-2006, 06:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Adrian Brentnall

Default Hosepipe ban, power washer, water butt, pump - X-post

Hi

On 3 May 2006 10:25:05 -0700, "Weatherlawyer"
wrote:

Christian McArdle wrote:
So is it feasible to put a pump in a rain water butt to feed water to the
power washer?

Mine worked just fine from a bucket. Used water surprisingly slowly, too.
Make sure the water is filtered, though. You don't want bits of leaves and
twig in the washer.

I was watching that "green" programme last night about that bloke who
can't afford a pair of scissors setting up a turbine to pump well water
to his roof from an open well.

I'm getting more dissilusioned with that program by the week - they're
doing some very strange things....

....like running 3 woodburning stoves and then fiddling about with an
air-to-air heat exchanger - rather than running one decent woodburning
stove with boiler & radiators to 'spread' the heat around

It struck me as odd they never built up the adit to keep out surface
water and didn't seem to have a cover to stop windblown litter dropping
in.

No mention of a filter either. The occasional blip that might put a
little grit in the works is capable of playing havoc in the plumbing.
They'd onlly need a felt pad or somesuch in a collander.

We use a well for all of our domestic water.
Before use it's passed through a cartridge-type grit filter, and then
a UV filter to kill off any bacteria. Not sure I'd want to do without
either of those (UV for the bugs and grit to keep the crud out of the
ball-valves, tap seats etc).

Having a little wind-genny to drive the pump is also all very well -
but the amount of power consumed by the pump must be pretty small - as
the genny wouldn't have been much more than 200 - 300watts.
OK - so it was all very good on camera - but whether it was
cost-effective.... dunno.....

We also heat our house by means of a woodburner / multifuel stove.
All very well having a nice big blazing bonfire for Guy Fawkes night -
but in this house that timber would have ended up in our woodburner -
either as kindling or as substitute logs.... - and you don't dry logs
by wrapping them up in a tarpaulin....

Ah well - I suppose it makes good telly..... g

Regards
Adrian
Suffolk UK

======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply