Old 03-05-2006, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

Default which colour of hat is better when gardening

On 3 May 2006 10:48:12 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article .com,
"Rajiv India" writes:

| This is Rajiv, from India.
| I have a question - Which colour hat - Black or white - is better to
| beat the heat and sun?? Especially when you are in agricultural fields
| for hours at a stretch...
|
| Sounds silly, right?
|
| Common knowledge says, white, but I distinctly remember reading
| somewhere, where, I forget...that wearing black may not be a bad idea
| after all since it radiates heat faster than white does...
|
| Any information you guys can share on this will be welcomed....

It depends whether the temperature of your head is higher than that
of the objects radiating at it. While there ARE circumstances when
black is better, they are so rare as to be ignorable - and, in all
cases when there is significant sunlight, black is always worse.

But don't many desert Arabs (?Bedouin) wear black? Or have I just been
watching too many telly ads!

White. More importantly, it should be porous to water vapour, as
sweating is the primary mechanism for keeping the brain cool.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--
Chris