Old 03-05-2006, 11:09 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Default white ants

Dave Turner wrote:
"Geoff & Heather" wrote in message

Don't you remember that Myth Busters show where they measured the growth
of peas subject to various types of music - I think Heavy Metal provided
the best results - soothing orchestral stunted growth.

I guess it all depends if the tree has grown up on Hard Rock :-)

yeah I watched that episode with great interest. I live and breathe music
but the Mythbusters test wasnt very scientific - they were pretty much just
comparing different types of music - classical vs rock etc, rather than
actually figuring out or explaining what exactly it is about the music that
was actually stimulating plant growth

When planting seedlings I was instructed to create air currents over the
seedlings to simulate wind.
This caused the plants to sway and created space between the plants
cells to help strengthen the seedling.
It maybe something similar to this. So I would guess mechanical
movement such as vibration would do this.
Not quite sure if this was the correct explanation... :-)