Old 03-05-2006, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim

Default What kind of tree is this?

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Cat(h) wrote:

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...

Declan Murphy wrote:

(Apologies for the crosspost)

Would some kind soul identify this flowering tree for me
please? It is
about 45 centimetres high, and I've inherited it from the
previous owner of the garden. The stem is only about 15mm thick
at the base, so
I'm assuming it was planted early last year or the year before.
Thought
it may be dead, but it began flowering about 10 days ago.

http://www.declan.tv/images/what_kin...ee_is_this.jpg

(image is 186KB)

Regards Declan,
Botanically challenged,
Okazaki, Japan

When I first saw it, I immediately thought of a forsythia - only
a bright pink one instead of yellow. But I googled for pink
forsythia, and while there is such a thing, it doesn't look much
like your plant.
Come to think of it, the only commonality with forsythia is the
bright
flowers on bare stems, the leaves coming only second later in
Spring. Fat lot of good my answer is :-)
Well done, all the same, Declan. It looks like you've stumped a
whole
newsgroup of experts (and don't include me in that).
Cat(h)

Declan can do miracles with pink paint and Sellotape:-)

Hmmm... I hadn't envisaged that possibility... but now that you
mention it...
Speaking of which... has such a cheeky trick ever been played
here? A spaghetti tree for April Fools' day, mayhaps?
Cat(h)

some of the plant descriptions are very hard to follow as it is
without needing any deceit.

You still get it though
Hookeri, Lineaus & Sinkerimensis

A typical description goes something like: sort of greenish leaves,
pointy at one end
and low growing with sort of brownish stems.

Then on further probing about say the flower, you get told, ahhh yes
the flower is 2 metres high and bright blue and yellow and smells
like rotting flesh.

Oh you mean an Arisaema type thing.?

I like trying to guess plant names as it is like a quiz but I have
only managed to get a few right over the past few months. Declan's
tree is eyecatching alright and I have absolutely no idea what it
is. They have lots of nice flowering shrubs and trees there.

Thank God I do not see too many like that. Far too cheerful for me.
I am more of a Funereal Laurel type:-)

Gotta remember this thread the next time the kind and number of
lurkers around here comes up.

Dan

Hi all

Stumbled on this thread at the beginning so mailed a couple of landscape
architects I know

Here's the reply - sorry if it's been covered in the thread already I don't
have the time to read through it I'm afraid so I'm just dumping it here in
the hope it might give someone a clue

"Fran and Tim think it is either a variety of Magnolia or Prunus. It looks
bit bigger than 45cm. Not so easy to tell without any leaves. That's their
excuse :-)"

Not much to go on I'll admit but that was my best shot at helping :-)

Gotta go so, Cheers

Tim