Old 04-05-2006, 04:37 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Please Critique This Pond Advice

*Note: There are TWO "Koi-Lo's" on this NG*

wrote in message
oups.com...
Please give me your thoughts on this advice.

---
Many people think that water gardening is difficult. Water gardens look
so exotic. But nothing could be further from the truth: I would
recommend water gardening to a rank beginner, although I might think
twice before suggesting growing something as common as roses.

I agree with this. Water plants are among the easiest plants to grow.

If you follow a few simple rules, it's fall-down easy. The rules may
seem odd because all sorts of garden wisdom gets turned upside down
when you're gardening in water. For instance, forget fast-draining soil
mixes. Pot things up in the heaviest clay soil you can find.
The Four Rules of Water Gardening

I agree again. Some will even live and do ok in plain gravel.

Pond gardening is easy but there are four very rules to remember. They
a Ponds need aquatic plants, fish, and water snails for ecological
balance;

I have no problems with water balance and have no snails. Why would snails
(which can carry disease) be needed for ecological balance I wonder?!?!?!

Grow aquatic plants in their own pots, in ordinary garden
soil; Keep 75 percent of the water surface covered with vegetation; and
You should never need to change the water.

I strongly disagree with this unless there are no fish in the pond.

--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.