Old 04-05-2006, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

Default Taking the P*** ?

On Tue, 2 May 2006 14:46:34 +0100, "stevej" wrote:

I thought it also had high levels of Ammonia too, isn't that harmful to
plants? I haven't conducted any detailed analysis by the way (just thought
I would drop that in) ;-)

Steve

The urea in urine originates from the metabolism of proteins in the
body. All carnivores have urea in their urine, and obligate carnivores
(cat family, dog family) have higher levels than others (which
explains why a bitch, peeing on the grass, leaves burnt patches).
After leaving the body, urea is rapidly broken down to ammonia (as a
visit to a men's public toilet where the flushing system has failed,
in a holiday resort in the height of summer, will confirm!).

NH2-CO-NH2 + H2O -- 2NH3 + CO2

I see no problem in adding neat urine to the compost heap. Bob
Flowerdew of GQT fame recommends it. The urea will be rapidly broken
down by bacteria, and the resulting ammonia will be diluted and
eventually absorbed by more bacteria, long before the compost is ready
for use.

--
Chris