Old 04-05-2006, 11:04 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Fruit and Placenta

Well, helpfulness has its limits, and DNA still has nothing to do with it.
PvR

"Dick Chambers" schreef
Another thing that puzzles me on this question is that I cannot assess
whether a fruit tree rejects "foreign" DNA tissue in the same way as an
animal (such as a human being) would. I remember, when a young child, that
my father grafted a small branch of a pear tree onto an apple tree. The
grafting worked, and there was no rejection. This must have been the
botanical equivalent of grafting a chimpanzee arm onto a human being. In

the animal kingdom, there would have been a total DNA rejection. This
evidence suggests that DNA rejection might not be so strong in the plant
kingdom as it is in the animal kingdom. So perhaps there is no need for
placental separation of the seed from the mother plant. I simply do not
know, which is the reason why I have asked my original question.

Richard Chambers Leeds UK.