Old 04-05-2006, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

Default Can I grow sweetcorn in tubs?

trident wrote:
Richard Brooks Wrote:

trident wrote:
Hi,

My heading says it all really. I would love to grow sweetcorn, but
I'm
not sure if I have the room. So I was thinking it would make life
much
easier if I could grow them in tubs. Is this possible?

[foxes nuisance snipped]

I have foxes, but fortunately, they can't get into the

back garden. However, I do have clay soil, and I understand sweetcorn
hate this. I've been trying to find information about sweetcorn grown
in tubs, but I can't find any - so this may mean that its problematic.
Might give it a go anyway.

The old favourite of about one two thirds compost to one third of sand
(to increase water retention and help improve aeration) would suffice.

I saw on a programme a few decades back where someone was doing the same
thing and also had a removable tube of chicken wire that simply opened
out for access and that helped hold the plant up in case it was the
unlucky victim of wind damage.

Good luck and enjoy!

Richard.

--