Old 04-05-2006, 10:27 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
David Hansen

Default Hosepipe ban, power washer, water butt, pump - X-post

On Wed, 03 May 2006 18:42:08 +0100 someone who may be Adrian
Brentnall adrian-the papers and the wrote
this:-

...like running 3 woodburning stoves and then fiddling about with an
air-to-air heat exchanger - rather than running one decent woodburning
stove with boiler & radiators to 'spread' the heat around

They explained that in an earlier programme. One of the reasons for
the ventilation system is to get moisture out of what was a damp
house. In the last programme they said that the house was now much
drier.

It struck me as odd they never built up the adit to keep out surface
water and didn't seem to have a cover to stop windblown litter dropping
in.

One of the latter shots in the programme showed it covered up, with
a door to keep out litter.

No mention of a filter either.

Doesn't mean there is not one.

Having a little wind-genny to drive the pump is also all very well -
but the amount of power consumed by the pump must be pretty small - as
the genny wouldn't have been much more than 200 - 300watts.
OK - so it was all very good on camera - but whether it was
cost-effective.... dunno.....

Like many things of this sort, the simple payback period is probably
a number of years at current prices. However, that is not the only
reason for doing things, if it was few would create flower gardens.

Ah well - I suppose it makes good telly..... g

That seems to partly be the idea and there is nothing wrong with
that.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh