Old 04-05-2006, 12:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Adrian Brentnall

Default Hosepipe ban, power washer, water butt, pump - X-post

HI Ian

On Thu, 04 May 2006 10:26:42 GMT, "Ian" wrote:

"David Hansen" wrote in message
.. .

Having a little wind-genny to drive the pump is also all very well -
but the amount of power consumed by the pump must be pretty small - as
the genny wouldn't have been much more than 200 - 300watts.
OK - so it was all very good on camera - but whether it was
cost-effective.... dunno.....

Like many things of this sort, the simple payback period is probably
a number of years at current prices. However, that is not the only
reason for doing things, if it was few would create flower gardens.

On the program he said it cost less than a 1/4's water charges to set up the
system.

Ian

Yes - I think I remember that.
I was with him all the way until the wind genny bit - but I guess it
does make for a good bit of TV "all the water and the electricity to
power it is from renewable sources"..

Bit like that lovely water-wheel he built - which appeared to be used
to run only the lighting in the house...

Not knocking the fellow - but, like so many of these programmes,
there's a strong 'directorial' influence - and the entertainment part
always seems to win over the informative.... - or perhaps I'm getting
old and cynical g

Regards
Adrian
Suffolk UK

======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply