Old 04-05-2006, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

Default Midge Eater

The message .com
from "Ronnie" contains these words:

Has anyone had any experience with these machines. They seem the answer
to a prayer as I live in the West Coast of Scotland. But before I
unlock the padlock on my sporran I would like to know how effective
these are. Running costs etc.

Some bars and hotels here have run them in their summer beer gardens
for a couple of seasons, catch bagfulls and say it makes a noticable
reduction in the midge population but doesn't eliminate all biting.
Since the smoking ban I imagine a whole lot more will be buying and
using them this summer.

They need to be sited carefully in relation to shade , trees, breeze
etc, and the optimum operating spot isn't always near the sitooterie.
Also, they aren't silent. So, either you're outside the midge deathzone
but liable to being bitten, or you're in the death zone listening to a
machine hum (like a fan).

All the home gardeners I know are still holding fire on buying one.
Maybe later versions will be quieter and cheaper. I think we're all
secretly hoping that eventually someone else's investment will suck up
the very last pregnant midge :-)

Janet (Isle of Arran)