Old 04-05-2006, 04:38 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Default white ants

godwin wrote:

Feedback if this works please. Dont breathe the dust from this stuff
as it may be harmfull if not observed.
Really great stuff to stop cabbage flutterbies.
[/color]

It works great. I originally found out about this from an article in
science magazine some years ago.

I tried it at home as we had persistent termites in the backyard. Now
they are no longer there and they are gone from the surrounding
properties also. They must travel quite a distance underground.

Cheers

[/color]
No white ants but plenty of the black argentinian ants....

Now that's a thought jonno! If DIPEL works on argentinian ants it would
be a sensation. But Argentinians aren't black? They're a honey colour. i
once did an article on Argentinian ants and researched pretty thoroughly.
The ag. board entymologist demonstrated to me that sometimes the only way
to distinguish argentinian ants from other similar species is to count
the 'teeth' on the mandibles under a microscope.

there's a much darker 'coastal brown ant' that might be your problem. But
your not a whole lot better off if it is :-) but a bit I think.

A good way of using dipel on white ants would be to insert a capped
length of PVC pipe into the nearby soil with some slots in the side and
stuffed with paper.

[/color]
They are honey coloured.. Yep. Wasn't thinking... :-(