Old 04-05-2006, 03:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Adrian Brentnall

Default Hosepipe ban, power washer, water butt, pump - X-post

HI David

On Thu, 04 May 2006 14:39:18 +0100, David Hansen
wrote:

On Thu, 04 May 2006 12:47:05 +0100 someone who may be Adrian
Brentnall adrian-the papers and the wrote
this:-

Bit like that lovely water-wheel he built - which appeared to be used
to run only the lighting in the house...

What is wrong with that? Lighting is a significant part of
electrical demand in many buildings.

Suppose so...... - just feels like doing half a job - but I suppose
that an installation capable of supplying 'serious' power might have
required more energy than they had available...

Don't remember what the power out was for their waterwheel / inverter
system - somewhere in the 'hundreds of watts' range, do you think ?

Hate to think what kind of an installation I'd need to get my (little)
glassworking kiln running 'off grid' - it's rated at about 1kw - and
idea what that equates to in terms of head of water etc ..?

I would like to ask him why he went for a water wheel though. A
turbine is more efficient, though it doesn't look as pretty.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there. ISTR that, in the
program where they finally connected the water wheel to their genny,
one of them said 'well, we could have used a turbine but they all
you'd see would be a little black box' - or words to that effect.

There used to be a lovely wheel at an old tin-mine / ore crushing
plant down in East Cornwall - can't remember the name of the place now
- but it was a big blighter - probably 15ft diameter.

Actually - found the place - it's Morwellham Quay - pic of the
water-wheel here

http://www.morwellham-quay.co.uk/ima...village500.jpg

Fairly slow moving - but with a definite I've started now I'll
finish feel to it when it was in motion. Sadly, not coupled up to
anything at the moment - seems like a waste g

Looks as if our move to Ireland may actually be going to happen at
last - so on the lookout for a suitable property down in the
South-West. Thinking seriously about heat-pumps for space heating -
seems that there are grants available for such things over there...
watch this space ! g

Adrian
Suffolk UK

======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply