Old 04-05-2006, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds
Mike

Default Water pump question

"Amos E Wolfe" wrote in message
I have a small allotment where the only source of water is the adjacent
river. Nearest tap water supply is about ¼ mile away. I have a couple of
45-gallon (205-litre) drums which I can fill from the river and then fill
watering cans from these.

I have seen solar powered pumps for use in ponds and I was wondering if
there was a suitable product on the market that might fit my requirements.
It doesn't have to be that powerful as it can fill up gradually while I am
working. It does however need to raise the water from the river by about
6-10 feet (head of water) depending on the level of the water in the

river.

Alternatively a battery powered pump could be used with one of those
trickle-charge solar panels usually used for car batteries.

Failing this (easier and cheaper) a hand powered pump? It does need to be
able to manage to lift the water up high enough so perhaps one with a
non-return valve? I tried a barrel pump but it couldn't manage more than
about 4 feet!

TIA

--
-=# Amos E Wolfe #=-

P.S. for the curious the location is he

http://maps.google.co.uk/?t=h&om=1&l...01801,0.004345
to the left of the railway bridge (long grey straight bit) where the river
(dark bendy bit) meanders round

Do you have an extraction licence?

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007