Old 04-05-2006, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Default Stuffing our environment

"K" wrote in message
Janet Baraclough writes
The message .com
from contains these words:
It really worked (make it illegal to give plastic bags for nothing;
you must charge for them).

I don't dispute it worked, only (Sue's claim) that UK supermarkets
will take no action unless forced: they already do take action.

They haven't taken the critical action of withdrawing the free plastic
bags.

snip

Yes, those were the ones I meant. I believe Lidl charge for the flimsy
carriers (or used to) but I can't see any of the Big Boys doing so
unforced, unless by some miracle they can all agree to do it
simultaneously.

The 'bag for life' was a good initiative, I agree, and perhaps needs
some re-promotion. I've had them from Sainsbury's and Waitrose and they
really do last and last.

--
Sue